- to encourage research on cryospheric sciences through collaboration and co-operation among individuals, institutions, and research programmes, both nationally and internationally
- to provide opportunities for international discussion and publication of the results of research on cryospheric structures and processes
- to promote education and public awareness about the cryosphere;
- to facilitate the standardisation of measurements and the collection of data on cryospheric systems and the analysis, archiving and publication of such data;
- to promote the scientific activities of any Permanent Service which may fall under IACS responsibility and scientific supervision.
IACS actively promotes and supports diversity, inclusion and equality within the Association as well as its membership. IACS members are required to follow the IACS Code of Conduct.