The next IUGG General Assembly will take place in Berlin in Germany 11-20 July 2023, with the cryosphere sessions over 5 days in this period. The assembly will include IACS symposia and joint symposia with other IUGG Associations. IACS will have an open plenary meeting for its members and correspondents, and we will elect new officers for the 4-year term 2023-2027. Here we collect information relevant for our members.
1) IUGG Early Career Scientist (ECS) Award:
This award honors early career scientists for their outstanding research in Earth and space sciences and for their international research cooperation.
Nomination deadline to IUGG: 20 June 2022
Please provide IACS with suitable names no later than 30 May. As a first step, we only need a short CV with some basic information on the candidate and the rationale for your nomination. We will then solicit full nomination packages for those candidates we deem to have the highest chances of receiving the award.
2) IUGG Gold Medal:
This award is the highest honor of the IUGG for outstanding contributions to geodesy and geophysics and for unselfish international cooperation in research.
Nomination deadline to IUGG: 20 October 2022
Please provide IACS with suitable names no later than 14 September.
As a first step, we only need a short CV with some basic information on the candidate and the rationale for your nomination. We will then solicit full nomination packages for those candidates we deem to have the highest chances of receiving the award. Self nominations will not be accepted.
Note that nominations for IUGG awards have to be submitted through IACS rather than by individuals, and must include a nomination letter and several letters of support. Since the nomination package has to go through IACS, we can only support a very limited number of nominations. Please let us know if you have any suggestions for possible candidates for the awards. Contact the IACS President or Secretary General with your nomination.
3) Proposals for IACS symposia (up to 300 words description and a list of up to 5 conveners) can be sent to IACS Secretary General until 15 July.
4) Important dates for IUGG Berlin 2023 registration and abstract submission.
IACS joint symposia proposed for IUGG Berlin 2023:
• Remote sensing of the cryosphere (IACS, IAHS)
• Declining glacier, snow cover and permafrost and their impacts on downstream hydrology (IACS, IAHS, IAG)
• Coupling processes between the atmospheric boundary-layer and snow – ice surfaces: Modelling at convection and snowdrift-permitting scales (IAHS, IACS, IAMAS)
• Arctic amplification and its influence on mid-latitude weather (IACS, IAMAS)
• Atmospheric circulation and surface mass balance of ice sheets (IACS, IAMAS)
• Atmosphere-ocean-sea ice ineractions: physical and chemical processes (IACS, IAMAS, IAPSO)
• Mountain cryosphere hazards (IACS GAPHAZ, IASPEI)
• Interactions of solid earth, ice sheets and oceans (IAG, IACS, IASPEI)
• Geodesy for climate research (IAG, IACS, IAHS, IAMAS, IAPSO)
• Analogue data for the future: Preservation and present-day utilization of historical data in the Geosciences (IAGA, IACS, IAHS, IASPEI, IAVCEI)
• Advances in Snow Hydrology (IAHS, IACS)
• Snow in the critical zone (IAHS, IACS)
• Data sharing within the Earth and Environmental Science community (IAHS, IACS, IASPEI)
• Citizen science, crowdsourcing and innovative monitoring for advancing geo-sciences (IAHS, IACS, IAGA, IAMAS, IASPEI)
• Earth System Models: Assessing the Earth System’s state and fate from regional to planetary scales (IAMAS, IACS, IAHS)
• Polar regions instrumentation (IAMAS, IACS, IAG, IAPSO)
• Recent advances in regional climate modelling (IAMAS, IACS, IAHS)
• Weather and climate extremes: understanding, modeling, prediction, and impacts (IAMAS, IACS, IAHS)
• Arctic Ocean physics and biochemistry in a changing climate (IAPSO, IACS)
• Electromagnetic studies of the ice and ocean system (IAPSO, IACS, IAGA)
• Ice sheet-ocean interactions: challenges and insights from theory, observations and modelling (IAPSO, IACS, IAG, IASPEI)
• Physical and biogeochemical processes in the Southern Ocean: Observations, state estimation and modeling (IAPSO, IACS)
• Cryoseismology (IASPEI, IACS, IAG)
• Volcano-ice interactions (IACS, IAVCEI)